Wednesday 16 February 2011

Does Equipment Affect Creativity?

In recent times there has been a lot of debate about "Creative Photography" with claims the type of camera or other photographic equipment the photographer chooses to use has no effect on the creative process.  While I agree that a "point and shoot" can produce creative and impressive photos when placed in the right hands, the question remains.  "If a 'point and shoot' is all that is needed, why do serious photographers spend so much money on their gear"?

I took many good photos with a Nikon 5700 but I also took a lot where the "magic moment" was missed due to shutter lag.  Today I came across an interesting article by Mark Dubovoy which articulates the issue in what I believe is a clear and concise manner.  It is offered here for your consideration:

Does Equipment Affect Creativity?

My last blog post was about how I had a butterfly pose for me and below is the setup I used to get the shot in my 'outdoor studio'.



The technical gear used:
Canon 7D - Mid range but not Pro level camera
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens - much easier than a telephoto lens to get in close
Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod - Tall for when I do bird photography (easier to aim high without the pain of having to kneel)
Manfroto 322RC2 Tripod Head - Awkward for miniscule compositional adjustments but a good flexible compromise.
Light Box - Home made from a cardboard carton, silk fabric and glue.
Backdrop - Card sheet from art supply shop
Lighting - Natural overcast sky (no expensive studio lighting) with a bit of fill from the Canon 580EXII flash

So you see from this shot taken on my back verandah I do not necessarily believe we must always use the 'best' (i.e. most expensive gear), but I have learned from experience that for consistent performance, it is always best to use appropriate gear in order to maximise your creative opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This Blog is about my journey as I try to rediscover photography and all it's pleasures. I took up photography with a passion following my retirement from work and have had ups and downs as I aspired to learn and become the best photographer I could be. I have no interest in becoming a professional in the field, merely that others may enjoy the results of my achievements.