Saturday 14 May 2011

Catching Up

I have had quite a busy week so it's time to catch up.

On Monday morning we woke to the sounds of heavy machinery setting up for a day's work on the construction site across the road where a new house is finally being built.  The site has been virtually vacant for most of the 25 years we have lived here apart from a short while when the then owner moved into the old, small fishermans hut style building down near the shoreline.

Finally the site is being developed by the new owner and we were greeted on Monday by a hive of activity as the crew set up their crane for a day's work.  The block is fairly steep and in order to provide space for the new house a number of trees had to be removed.  The crane was to be used to help achieve that.  The dogman attached the shackles to each tree in turn and it was then raised up to the street where it met it's fate.

The first of the trees rises up
Canon 7D, Sigma 18-200mm Lens @18mm, 1/320 sec @ f/10, ISO 200, Hand held

It lands on the road, dwarfing the workmen
Canon 7D, Sigma 18-200mm Lens @18mm, 1/320 sec @ f/11, ISO 200, Hand held

Once on the road the tree loppers move in to do their bit.
Canon 7D, Sigma 18-200mm Lens @18mm, 1/200 sec @ f/8, ISO 200, Hand held
It didn't take long
Canon 7D, Sigma 18-200mm Lens @21mm, 1/320 sec @ f/9, ISO 200, Hand held

All photos shot in Canon RAW format and processed in Lightroom 3.

I had mixed feelings about seeing the trees go.  On the one hand I feel I witnessed an example of how humanity is destroying our planet and on the other I cannot be hypocritical given that we all need somewhere to live and to do that we must invade the natural environment.  Indeed I built our own home on what was bushland.

Over all I was impressed with the efficiency, and the attitude of the people involved.  And I am fortunate enough to have access to one of the largest national parks in the world right on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This Blog is about my journey as I try to rediscover photography and all it's pleasures. I took up photography with a passion following my retirement from work and have had ups and downs as I aspired to learn and become the best photographer I could be. I have no interest in becoming a professional in the field, merely that others may enjoy the results of my achievements.