Thursday 10 March 2011

Kookaburras & Eastern Water Dragons

Had a great day yesterday at the Lane Cove National Park with friends who have recently emigrated from England, with whom I regularly enjoy most Wednesdays exploring Sydney and it's surrounds, taking photos and discussing our intentions for taking the image, our methods and results.  As we each have an interest in nature photography, it was a good opportunity for us to share the experience of some of Australia's wildlife and, as always, it was a lovely day out despite the overcast sky.

As well as the usual Kookaburras, Black Ducks, etc.,  I had the opportunity to photograph a creature I have not seen very often before, the Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii lesueurii) which were abundant along the river edge.  I also took the opportunity to experiment with techniques gleaned from online research by doing comparisons shots with and without flash outdoors and was very impressed with the results when using flash.  Not only for the better lighting but also the images appear to be sharper.  It is a technique I shall be using more often in future.

Eastern Water Dragon
Canon 7D, Sigma 80-400 Lens, 1/500s @ f/5.6, ISO 400, No Flash, Hand held.

I wanted an eye to eye angle with the Dragon in it's natural environment so got down on my belly, slowly crawling closer while clicking the shutter.  I did not use flash so as not to disturb the creature and it let me get close enought to fill the frame for a few images before he quietly turned and headed back for cover.

Eastern Water Dragon
Canon 7D, Sigma 80-400 Lens, 1/250s @ f/5.6, ISO 400, No Flash, Tripod.

 Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguinea)
Canon 7D, Sigma 80-400 Lens, 1/250s @ f/5.6, ISO 400, Flash, Tripod.













Golden Orb Weaver (Nephila)
Canon 7D, Sigma 80-400 Lens, 1/250s @ f/5.6, ISO 400, No Flash, Hand held.

 As usual when doing nature photography, it was a relaxed, productive day, this time shared with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This Blog is about my journey as I try to rediscover photography and all it's pleasures. I took up photography with a passion following my retirement from work and have had ups and downs as I aspired to learn and become the best photographer I could be. I have no interest in becoming a professional in the field, merely that others may enjoy the results of my achievements.